LIFE OF THE ORDER
Feb 2013 | Funeral of Mgr Boz, Grand Prior Spiritual of the OrderCHARITABLE ACTIVITIES
The funeral of Mgr Boz took place in the church of the Val de Grâce Military Hospital on Saturday 23 February, Saint Lazarus's day in the new Roman calendar.
Mass wa...read more
Malaria: because 200 Million Is Too Many CHRISTIANITY
It's important to remember that malaria -- a parasite spread by mosquitos -- infects 219 million people each year. According to the World Health Organization, it kills 660,000 of them.
World Youth Day in Rio protects creation. WORLDWIDE ALERT
World Youth Day and its hundreds of thousands of young people: the ideal opportunity to disseminate good ideas and practices to protect Creation. The Italian authorities have understood this: the...read more
Landmines, conventional arms: international legal offensive
This is one of the scourges of war afflicting civil populations long after the end of the hostilities: landmines. International mine awareness day was commemorated on Thursday A...read more
ORGANIZATION TEMPORAL PROTECTOR
The Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem, dates from the 12th century community of Hospitallers of Saint Lazarus, attested throughout the centuries by Papal Bulls, favours and indulgences of the Supreme Pontiffs. Especially Pius IV in his Bull Inter assiduas, 9 February 1565 and the Bull of Clement XIV Militarium ordinum institutio, 10 December 1772.
In order to prevent theft on returning from the Holy Land after the fall of Saint Joan of Acre, King Philip IV the Fair gave the Order of Saint Lazarus his “special guard and protection” at Poitiers in July 1308. Since then, successive heads of the Royal House of France assumed that pledge of protection until King Charles X in 1830.
In its formative years of being under the Spiritual Protection of Greek Catholic Patriarchs of Jerusalem, the Order of Saint Lazarus was confirmed by Pope Alexander IV, in the Bull given in Naples on 11 April 1255. Having forged new links with the Greek-Melkite Catholic Patriarchate and returning to its eastern origins in 1841, the Order of Saint Lazarus found its official Temporal Protection from the Royal House of France on 12 September 2004 and re-established a link directly with the Catholic Church on 2 February 2005 through the protection of a High-ranking Catholic prelate.
By offering his Temporal Protection as Head of the Royal House of France, the Count of Paris, Duke of France restored the Order to the status it had lost in 1830. Confirmation of the Temporal Protection was given in the Cathedral of Orléans, during the Investiture of his nephew, Prince Charles-Philippe d’Orléans, Duc d’Anjou, as Grand Master of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem. This confirmation was witnessed by official representatives of the Catholic, Greek Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Anglican and Reformed Churches. Also present were members of the diplomatic corps, dignitaries of the French Republic and the City of Orléans and Military Officers of France, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway and Ireland.
Today, the Order of Saint Lazarus is the only Order in the world under the Temporal Protection of the Royal House of France.